I like "The Thinking Atheist." He reminds me of me.

Recently I came across The Thinking Atheist web site. It's slick and sophisticated looking, which distinguishes it from my Church of the Churchless minimalist blog design.

But when I turned to the FAQ page and read the witty Q and A's of The Thinking Atheist, I realized that I was in the presence of a kindred non-soul. Namely, someone with a sense of humor who has had to deal with many of the same questions and issues that I have.

This guy was a Christian of 30 years and a former Christian broadcaster. He says:

I finally started "thinking" for myself, ultimately rejecting the world view and lifestyle Id once assumed as truth.

This site is a response to my own childhood indoctrination, the overwhelming wave of religious messages in our society, and the countless throngs who make ridiculous claims and dismiss skeptical voices with warnings of eternal torture.

Whether youre religious or non-religious, I invite you to examine these pages, challenge superstition with an objective eye, take courage from the stories of others and embrace the charge to determine what is real, what is right, and what is rational.

Assume nothing. Question everything. Challenge the opposition.

And start thinking.

Well, amen to that. Here's some of the FAQs that I particularly related to. I urge you to read all of them, as The Thinking Atheist has an engaging writing (and thinking!) style.

Why do you hate god?

Doesnt hating something assume that it exists? This is like asking if I hate the Easter Bunny, Lord Voldemort, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy. (Actually...I do hate The Tooth Fairy. Cheap little @#$%!)

Dont you know that god loves you?

Awesome. Which god? Yahweh? Allah? Thor? Wotan? Zeus? Isis? Os! iris? L oki? Odin? Mithra? Lolth? Aphrodite? Poseidon? Cronos? Horus? Beddru? Krishna? Zarathustra? Baal? Dagon? Dionysus? Enki? Gaia? Helios? Hermes? Marduk? Quetzalcoatl? Ra? Seti? Vishnu? Shiva? Xenu? Akuma? Raiden? Gekka? Bumba? Eshu? Jupiter? Romulus? Ilia? Venus? Abaangui? Ewah? Imhotep? Periboriwa? Dagda? Ishtar? Baldur? Tyr? Quetzalcoatl? Ixchel? Qi-Lin? Dievas? Adonis? Xanthus? Kali? Akka? Anubis? Sif? Mercury? Juno? Brahma? Frith? Eric Clapton? Or one of tens of thousands of others?

Do you think religious people are stupid?

The people, no. The beliefs, yes.

Why do you parody and mock? All belief systems deserve respect.

The people, yes. The beliefs, no. Here in the 21st century, if someone states that the earth is flat and expects his belief to be "respected," he shouldnt be personally attacked, but he should prepare himself as his outlandish assertions are stacked, skewered and roasted over the white-hot fires of science, reason, evidence and common sense. In this crazy world, some things are deserving of mockery.

Why do you focus so much on Christianity? Where are your videos on Islam and other religions?

Christianity is my background. Debunking my former belief system is what Im passionate about. For the record, I believe all religions and cults are superstitious nonsense. As TTA evolves, I hope to tackle other religions with greater frequency. But for now, Im pretty focused on the bible and mainstream Christianity.

Isnt atheism a religion?

Sure. And not smoking is a habit.

Atheists gather together in groups to talk about their beliefs. Isnt that like church?

This idea confuses church with community. People should feel free to connect and celebrate the things they have in common. I think opposition to superstition qualifies as a common denominator, and human beings shouldnt isolate themselves because theyre scared of labels. The Thinking Atheist and other online communities have given thousands the op! portunit y to make friends and find support all over the world.

What do you think happens when you die?

Its like before you were born. Non-existence.

Isnt that rather sad? No afterlife?

Whats sad is watching people squander decades of this life under the delusion that theyre super heroes on a divine mission with eternal reward. Carpe Diem, folks. This is the only time around. And you dont need an afterlife to make this earthly one meaningful, rich and happy.

Here's a (lengthy) You Tube video podcast featuring The Thinking Atheist and an interviewee. I only listened to a few minutes, but liked what I heard.


Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Yoga Guides

Benefits of the Vajra Guru Mantra

The 6 Important things about Yoga