Looking for "God" in the smallest things

I don't believe in God.

But I'm constantly looking for the Big Guy (actually, for spiritual-erotic reasons I'd prefer that God were a Big Gal, so I'm open to God appearing in any form -- curvaceous, feminine, and gorgeous being my dream divinity).

Just because I've ranted about the evils of religiosity for six and a half years on this here blog doesnt' mean that I'm closed to the notion of a higher power transcending our everyday understanding of reality.

After all, science is continually expanding humankind's knowledge of the cosmos.

In less than a hundred years we've gone from believing that the stars in our Milky Way galaxy comprise the entire universe, to a realization that there are some 100 billion galaxies with an average size about the same as our own.

Current scientific conceptions of a multiverse, in which an infinity of universes could exist, are even more mind-blowing.

So I've got no disagreement with anyone who thinks that ultimate reality must be vastly stranger, wilder, and mysterious than how it appears from our 21st century earthly perspective.

However, I do take issue with religious devotees who would have us ignore what is within our immediate vision, considering the evident here and now to be an impediment to some hypothesized there and then -- heaven, salvation, God-realization.

My guess is that if God exists (blessed be her Hotness), She hasn't divorced herself from the physical universe.

Divine oneness strikes me as being more plausible than twoness or manyness, since scientific study of materiality points toward unified laws of nature that may culminate in a single Theory of Everything.

How do I know this? I don't. That's why I said this is my guess.

But I'm as entitled to my own blue-sky thinking as! anyone else is, such as the founders of the world's religions. Lack of demonstrable evidence for the thought-castles we all place in our personal blue skies shows that we're all standing on the same don't know ground.

I just prefer to open my eyes to what is right in front of me, figuring that if more reality is to be found, it'll be connected somehow to everyday experience -- not utterly alien to the small things I'm aware of now.

I look around.

There's my dog, dozing on the rug. A can of Zevia Cola rests near my left hand, fueling my caffeinated blogging. Some squash has just come out of the oven, my wife's contribution to our evening meal.

Yes, small things. Which perhaps contain everything.

Countless mystics, poets, and other worshippers of What is Right in Front of Us have said (or screamed) that we should stop looking for God in distant times and places.

Here! This! Now! Look!

Maybe I'm finally starting to take their advice seriously. Or even better, laughingly. How amazing it would be, how utterly ridiculous, how marvelously absurd, if the grand secret of the cosmos were to be staring back at us through every glance we make at the world.

Yet we don't recognize it. Not an original idea, of course.

Meister Eckhart, for example, famously said, "The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love."

So here we are. And there God is. Together. In the smallest things. As in the biggest things. Yet it seems easier for me to feel my connection with the cosmos through stuff that I can wrap my eyes, skin, nose, ears, and taste buds around.

That's how I visualize my Dream Girl God embracing me: through my here-and-now body/brain, not some ethereal soul or abstracted consciousness. And even if there's no God, attending to the small ! things t hat surround me, and indeed are me, feels deliciously divine.

Which reminds me. Time for a glass of wine.


Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Yoga Guides

Benefits of the Vajra Guru Mantra

The 6 Important things about Yoga